Where and What To Eat and Drink
· Holy Donut – Maine potato donuts. These are unlike other donuts you've sampled. We recommend Dark Chocolate Sea Salt (John) and Chai (Sonya), you should get a half dozen and try more flavors.
· Tandem Bakery – The bakery has a broad selection of baked goods. Get a breakfast sandwich and an Everything Bagel. Be sure to buy a chocolate chip sea salt cookie for later. Note: Little Tandem can be less busy. Arrive early, otherwise expect a line.
· Scratch Bakery has the best bagels. There are two locations.
· Forage – good bagels and bagel sandwiches. They were running out during the summer, so go early.
· Hit Eventide for lunch. Start early because during peak tourist season the line is long. Best drink there is the Walking Dead. The lobster roll is unlike any other. Everything is good. Don't skip on the tuna crudo. It's one of the best items on the menu. Eat oysters. They're not Gulf oysters.
· The Shop – oyster centric restaurant. There wasn’t much on the menu other than oysters and I thought they had good quality fresh stuff when I went. We had good ceviche there and it's a lower price for the same stuff as Eventide.
· Amato's on India Street. Order to go. Italian sandwich extra pickle. Take it over to the Eastern Prom and have a picnic.
· Otto's pizza on Congress St & Washington Ave. (Easy dinner as well.)
· Drive to Cape Elizabeth and get a traditional lobster roll at the Lobster Shack and enjoy the light houses and view. (Could be seasonally closed; call ahead.)
· If you're in the Old Port - Bard Coffee and order the dirty chai latte.
· Tandem Coffee
· Coffee By Design
· Street & Co for something nice. Scallops in Pernod are John's favorite item. (This is where we ate dinner the night we got engaged.)
· Alternatives are Fore Street and Scales. All by the same chef.
· Grill Room is good
· Honey Paw – Asian fusion by the guys that did Eventide.
· Pai Men Miyake for something a little different.
· Cong tu Bot is the hot new Thai place. John thought it was delicious but around 4 am his intestines disagreed. It was very hot.
· Local 188 - great risotto. Sit at the chef's bar.
Other notable mentions:
· Front Room for brunch.
· Becky's Diner for breakfast. Get the grilled muffin.
· Standard Bakery for snacks.
· Big Sky Bread Company for snacks/sandwiches.
· Union Portland - Been following on insta. Looks good but haven't been.
Touristy or dive:
· DiMillo's - expensive and not great.
· The Porthole - It's a dive so dive away if you want.
· J's Oyster - Dive but fun for a stiff cocktail. Not great food.
· Pretty much anything right on the port that looks like a tourist trap.
· Maine Beer Co – Falmouth, ME Dinner IPA is great
· Blythe & Burrows is probably the best new spot for a drink. Secret bar through the bookshelf.
· Hunt & Alpine is great.
· LFK is great.
· Bramhall is very cool. Basement bar. It's next door to The Francis Hotel and across the street from Tandem Bakery.
· Skip the Jewel Box.
· Novare Res is beer only. It's a cool spot with nice patio.
· Bubba's Sulky Lounge - Since Sangillo's is closed this will serve all your total dive bar, local watering hole needs.